Monday, July 25, 2005

A time for silence

Yesterday in worship, we had a moment where the whole church was silent. The purpose of the silence was for people to find rest in God. I think we often times struggle to find quiet times to find rest in God. There is so much on everyone's plates. There is always something else to be acomplished or some project that needs to be started or another book to be read, etc.

I want to put out a challenge. This is a five minute challenge. Take 5 minutes of everyday and find a quiet place or a place that you can meditate on God. Maybe it will be before you go to bed or before everyone wakes up, or maybe in the middle of the day. This 5 minutes needs to be such that you are not doing anything else (i.e. driving, eating, working). It is important to give God every bit of your attention. In this time, seek God's rest. Nothing more. To get this rest all you need do is come near to God and He will give it to you.

Matt 11:28-30

28 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."
NIV

1 comment:

summer said...

thanks honey. i'm glad to see you posted again! lots of people are reading your blog even if they don't post back. you should write more often. you really have wonderful things to say!! this is coming from the one who took a week break from writing, i know. love you,
summer