Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Getting back in the swing of things

I know. It has been too long since I've posted. Since around Thanksgiving my wife has been on complete bed rest with a few privilages. I basically have been working out of my house for much of that time. The church has been gracious enough to work with me in that area. She is doing well though. We took a trip to KY and TN for Christmas. About 10 minutes before we arrived it started to rain ice. By the end of the next day, we had 14 inches of snow in Paducah. It set several records. It is odd to leave Dallas when it is 70 degrees out and arrive in Paudcah to 20 degree weather. What's worse is it got down to -5 on Christmas day. That is a 75 degree difference in temp. over just a couple of days. With 14 inches of snow, my truck was trapped in my moms driveway for two days. My truckbed was full of snow. There were places where the snow had drifted that I would step in snow up to my knees.

It was a huge Christmas. I've never seen so many gifts in my life. We came to Paducah with a washer and dryer, two bins with our clothes and one big bin with all of our Christmas gifts that we bought for people. We dropped off the washer and dryer and proceeded to totally fill up my pick up bed full of gifts (mainly for my children). I'm thinking about getting rid of all the toys my kids have just so we have room for all the new ones they recieved.

Road conditions were tough going to the in-laws. Highway 48 was a solid sheet of ice and snow. We went very slow on that road. At Summer's parent's house there is a huge hill. As you can imagine it is tough to climb with it covered in mainly ice. I backed up and got a running start the first time, but it wasn't enough and my truck started going back. I tried to brake but that just made the truck start to slide sideways, so I let go of the brake and we went flying down the hill backwards. That was a very uncomfortable feeling. The second try I got lots of speed and barely made it up the hill.

We traveled back on Sunday and got back on Monday morning around 1:45.

Summer's parents will be flying in today and will be here about a week. They are going to help catch up a few things which will be wonderful. They are going to take down Christmas stuff, organize all the new toys, and maybe even paint Anna's room.

Summer goes to the doctor today. I am anxious to see how this trip affected her if any. She has pretty much done nothing the whole trip. She has ridden and rested.

I got a call from Jerry Rushford a couple of weeks ago and I've been invited to lead worship at one of the morning sessions of the Pepperdine lectures. I'm excited.

Well, I will be posting more now that I am somewhat in my office on a normal basis. If you are reading this after such a long break from me posting, all I can say is "WOW." I feel honored that you would stick around. Thanks.



Phyllistene said...

Its good to know you guys are alive. btw We will be in town a week from saturday. Stephen is picking me up at the airport saturday night (8th) at like 9pm or so. If your interested in company let us know, otherwise we'll head back to A town. I leave for Uruguay that next wed (12th)

MichaelPolutta said...

Hey dude! I've been wondering what's up with you guys. Hope Summer's appointment brings good news. Hang in there!

We just "got our house back" after hosting for Christmas. It was great fun. It's also nice to have a couple days of 'peace & quiet' before resuming normal routines.


stephen said...

who says I'm stickin' around!

Jenni said...

Glad to hear that you arrived safely at your destination(s) and then back home!

Shane Coffman said...

Bret -

Good to see you back, and hope it goes well from here to the end of her pregnancy.

It will be great to see you in Malibu. We (Quail Springs) are leading at the Friday morning early session. Which day are you leading?