Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Nashville Bound

Well, today the family and I head to Nashville for the Barbershop International Convention. As of now, my quartet is going in ranked number 19 in the competition. We will be singing in front of 10,000+ people. This will be my 3rd time competing with a quartet on the international stage.

If you are unfamiliar with the barbershop hobby, the international convention is the huge contest every year where all the best quartets and choruses from around the world come and compete in this one contest. There are competitors from Switzerland, Canada, Germany, Japan, Australia to name a few.

The first round of competition narrows the 55 quartets competing down to 20, which gets you on the Convention DVD. The second night of competition they narrow it down to 10, and then on Saturday night 3, 4, and 5th place quartets get bronze medals, 2nd gets a silver, and the 1st place gets a gold medal which is the dream of anybody in the hobby.

In the chorus contest there are about 30 choruses that compete. Choruses will have anywhere from 40 guys to 160 guys. There is just one round of competition for the choruses. When I lived in Texas, I was a part of the Vocal Majority and was able to win a gold medal with them in 2006.

My dream is to someday is to be a gold medal quartet winner. Hopefully this year my quartet will be in the top 20, which would be a major accomplishment with as little practice as we are able to have.

I'll give results as I know them and eventually a youtube link to the video of our competition.

1 comment:

Roxy Wishum said...

Good Luck! I am looking forward to the youtube posting.